Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Compassion...one for you, one for me

While driving home on my long commute (all of 3 miles) I saw an interesting thing. Two cars were stopped, one in the opposing lane and the other in the shoulder on my side. I also saw a groundhog, hedgehog, whatever we have in Maryland in the middle of the road - ALIVE! A car a few ahead of me decided to stop in our lane. I initially had the urge to start into a flip out. If you know me, then you know this is something to behold. If you don't know me/haven't experienced a flip out, I'll try and indulge you. I digress. So the cars are stacking up on both sides of the road now. I'm expecting honks - I hear none. Then I spy a guy with a metal rake. He used the rake to shuttle the mammal out of the road and into the wooded area directly next to the road. It dawned on me that I have learned a bit of compassion. I didn't flip out. I felt better than I did a few minutes early after witnessing this small mercy from God. Looks like my wife is influencing me.

P.S. A big shout out to my man Devin. Devin and I got to know each other when he lived with my friend Jeff in college. Thanks for following Devin. Someone other than my wife (who must feel bad for me because blogs sound like a 10 year old wrote them) may read my blog.

1 comment:

Vegan Burnout said...

i would say your writing is AT LEAST at the level of a 12-year-old. ;)

YAY for the sweet groundhog. and yay for compassion towards all creatures.